[FFmpeg-devel] Default dynamic range compression on AC3

madshi madshi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 08:25:02 CET 2015

> So I was wondering if the default of 1 for drc_scale was chosen
> purposefully or not. I feel very strongly that it should be 0 by default,
> because I don't see why streams with AC3 (as opposed to DTS, AAC,
> PCM, whatever) as audio should be treated differently if the user
> didn't ask for it.

I fully agree with you. That's why eac3to uses a patched ffmpeg build which
has drc_scale forced to 0 in the code, just to be extra safe. I think it's
a terrible idea to have it enabled by default. I had once asked the AC3
maintainer to disable it by default, but for some reason my suggestion
didn't find a lot of love.

Best regards, madshi.