[FFmpeg-devel] Default dynamic range compression on AC3

Wiebe Cazemier wiebe at halfgaar.net
Thu Mar 26 09:44:06 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----

Is it even in the spec? If so, Dolby seriously shot themselves in the foot. No wonder DTS won the audio war on DVD.

I remember about 10 years ago that I found this setting in WinDVD. After switching to Linux and Xine, I discovered that AC3 can actually sound very good. Guess what: I found out that even with WinDVD set to full range, DRC was still applied!

This wrong default and the fact that a lot of people (developers, audio philes, etc) don't know about the DRC metadata has been following me for years.

So who can decide this (or whom can I persuade :))? I can write a patch, shouldn't be too hard :).

And then I have to also take it up with Libav? I'm confused about libavcodec in ffmpeg and libav.