[FFmpeg-devel] Default dynamic range compression on AC3

Wiebe Cazemier wiebe at halfgaar.net
Thu Mar 26 15:51:02 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----

This was brought up in the Kodi discussion as well. I haven't answered there (yet), but it has been my experience that TV networks already apply a whole bunch of compression on the stream itself, outside of the meta data. Disabling DRC doesn't help in preventing horrible compressed sound quality.

In any case, the use of AC3 for broadcasting shouldn't mean that DRC is on by default. Settop etc boxes that want this should turn it on themselves, not rely on a library that performs it with the developer using ffmpeg not even knowing about the existence of it. And the developers that do know, will simply set drc_scale.