[FFmpeg-devel] [GSoC 2015] Regarding encoding of style descriptors for movtext subtitles

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Wed May 27 18:08:14 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:38:44AM +0530, Niklesh Lalwani wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was trying to understand how to encode the style descriptors for mov text
> subtitles. Currently, I am looking at srtenc.c.
> I see that srt_style_cb() handles the callbacks for styling information,
> but then what does srt_style_apply() do? I am confused at several other
> steps too.

Unless I'm mistaken, my understanding is that srt_style_apply() honors the
global style of the dialog. Typically in ASS, each dialogue has is
associated with a style (generally "Default" but can be another one
defined in the header), so these style are first applied. Then, every
special tag in the dialogue itself will trigger srt_style_apply().

Clément B.