[FFmpeg-devel] UDP constant bitrate feature (cbr)

Kieran Kunhya kierank at obe.tv
Wed Nov 18 23:38:29 CET 2015

On 18 November 2015 at 19:28, Zach Swena <zcybercomputing at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you referring to this seperate applciation?
>
> https://github.com/mmalecki/multicat/blob/master/trunk/README
>
> While using that makes sense for Pavel's application, why should FFmpeg
> produce a problematic UDP stream in the first place?  For applications like
> I need that involve encoding the stream in the first place, why should I
> have to use a seperate program to make the output stream complient?  FFmpeg
> should keep track of the number of bytes between pcr and smoothly output
> the stream regardless of what the input is.  I would argue that this very
> much is a bug, not a feature.  Just because an external applciation can fix
> the problem in some instances doesn't mean it isn't a problem in the first
> place.

Because FFmpeg again cannot know a priori whether the input signal is
fully VBV compliant for use within MPEGTS.
An RTMP feed is an example of a feed which certainly isn't and so
FFmpeg has to make some numbers up in order to make a valid TS.
Such guessing might work in the file world but in the standards
compliant MPEGTS world it is guaranteed to cause problems.

Kieran