[FFmpeg-devel] Add JNI and Android content resolver support

compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Fri Oct 9 22:03:44 CEST 2015

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 19:16:01 +0200
wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri,  9 Oct 2015 18:26:48 +0200
> Matthieu Bouron <matthieu.bouron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The following patchset add support for the Java Native Interface in
> > FFmpeg through different helpers to:
> >
> >   * manage the JNI environment (attach/detach),
> >   * load classes/methods/fields from a single interface
> > (avpriv_jni_init_jfields)
> >   * manage android application context and class loader, so FFmpeg
> > will be able to load custom classes (which is needed if we want to
> > use the MediaCodec ability to decode to a surface)
> >   * other helpers.
> >
> > Supporting JNI in FFmpeg will allow us to support hardware decoding
> > on the Android platform through the MediaCodec API.
> >
> > The latest patch of the serie add support of the Android content
> > resolver which is retreived from the application context and will
> > allow FFmpeg to handle uris starting with content://
>
> Java support has no place in libavutil, or anywhere else in ffmpeg.

it may prevent further forking of ffmpeg which is always a good idea.

at least when the "oh it burns" java stuff does not intrude too much on
the project.

reducing forks is especially a good idea, since some embedded device
ffmpeg forks dont return their changes to us. were all of rockbox's
changes ever ported back? ffmpeg4android? androidffmpeg? ffmpeg4iphone?
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

-compn