[FFmpeg-devel] Can we drop OpenJPEG 1.5 in favor of 2.x?

Michael Bradshaw mjbshaw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 18:03:43 CEST 2015

tl;dr: I've got a patch that updates OpenJPEG to 2.0/2.1. Currently, I've
opted to drop OpenJPEG 1.5. Should I proceed with preparing this patch for
submission, or should I alter it to keep 1.5 support?

----

The OpenJPEG API went through a bit of an overhaul in the 1.x to 2.x
transition. This means that supporting 1.5 and 2.x concurrently in ffmpeg
would be possible, but would require some (ugly) macros.

Given that v2.0 was released ~19 months ago, I think it's been long enough
that users should, most likely, have access to a modern 2.x OpenJPEG on
their machine. So I don't think dropping 1.5 would be catastrophic.

But, on the other hand, it's nice to be a swiss army knife that works with
everything, so I can understand if others think supporting 1.5 is important.

I don't want to submit my patch (as is) if I'm just going to be told to go
back and keep 1.5 support. If ya'll still want 1.5 support, I'd rather
include that from the get-go rather than revising the patch during the
review.

Opinions on whether 1.5 should be dropped in favor of 2.x?