[FFmpeg-devel] Wanted to contribute

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Sun Oct 25 00:57:24 CEST 2015

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 6:22 PM, rishi shah <rishiloyola98245 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi wm4,
> I went through that link but its all about just coding convention and patch
> submission methodology. Nothing about dev setup or nothing about list of
> projects, modules and bugs.

May be cliched, but the first rule is not to top post on the mailing
list - wiki the term.
Following that, here are some perspectives from a new guy:
1. Dev setup - look at the FFmpeg wiki: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/. This
also has use useful information about a variety of things.
2. Projects - don't understand what you mean here, FFmpeg is a project, right?
3. Modules - Read the docs and source code (in addition to the wiki).
There are some things that are quite complex, but at a high level, it
should not be too difficult. If you want something more useful than
this response, I think a more specific question will help.
4. Bugs - Have a look at the bug tracker -
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/report. They are categorized, but please note
that they vary a lot in terms of difficulty. That reminds of me of
something: I think it would be great if we add labels to bugs that we
think are simple for new-comers. IIRC Mozilla does this, but then
again they have a lot more resources than us. Still, maybe worth some
thought.