[FFmpeg-devel] IRC meeting on Saturday 2015-09-12, UTC 15:00

Yayoi Ukai yayoi.ukai at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 04:22:41 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Ganesh Ajjanagadde <gajjanag at mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I propose to have an official IRC meeting on the next Saturday, and I
>> propose the tentative time of 15:00 UTC, but feel free to propose a
>> different time if this can't suit you.
>>
>> The IRC meeting channel will be public and the log will be published
>> at the end of the meeting.
>>
>> This meeting is also meant as a preparation for the real-life meeting
>> that will be held in Paris at the next VDD
>> (http://www.videolan.org/videolan/events/vdd15/) for the FFmpeg
>> developers who will attend it.
>>
>> I propose these topics of the day (suggested by ubitux on IRC):
>> 1. ABI compatibility policy
>> 2. general policy decision process
>> 3. VDD15
>> 4. Any other business
>>
>> Feel free to suggest other topics.
>
> A less important issue; but I think a clear stance on use of
> Github/Gitorious and their pull request development model would be
> useful. I think it is clear that in general many people here do not
> like it, and repeated comments on the FFmpeg Github page discourage
> it. However, a user checking out README.md (which is the document
> people see on Github) does not have an explicit note on this; and
> instead only a hyperlink to the documentation which again lacks full
> clarity on this point. My own proposed solution is an added line to
> README.md clearly stating that FFmpeg does not do pull requests from
> Github, and instead that we use the mailing list. This will hopefully
> reduce the number of pull requests on Github; thus avoiding
> fragmentation of development discussion.

Also FYI,

FFmpeg page says currently: (https://www.ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Contributing)

"""(beginning of quote)

There are 3 ways by which code gets into ffmpeg.

1. Submitting Patches to the main developer mailing list see
Submitting patches for details.
2. Directly committing changes to the main tree.
3. Committing changes to a git clone, for example on github.com or
gitorious.org. And asking us to merge these changes.

Whichever way, changes should be reviewed by the maintainer of the
code before they are committed. And they should follow the Coding
Rules. The developer making the commit and the author are responsible
for their changes and should try to fix issues their commit causes.

"""(end of quote)

Maybe No.3 needs to be removed?