[FFmpeg-devel] IRC meeting on Saturday 2015-09-12, UTC 15:00

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Sat Sep 12 15:48:13 CEST 2015

Le sextidi 26 fructidor, an CCXXIII, Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> If we depend on these developers/contributors then IMO we should take
> their oppinons and objections serious and if one of them is willing
> to risk her/his good name to oppose a proposal in public and maybe also
> plans to put signifiant time into creating a better compromise proposal
> then i belive this is something that should not just be brushed away
> easily, and especially not "quick quick" while
> everyones minds are maybe heated about some debate
>
> vetos would be one way to achive this

No, vetoes are not a way to achieve this. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Vetoes are weapons. Weapons for diplomacy, but weapons nonetheless. We do
not want weapons in the project.

Contributors should heed objections to their proposal because it is the
correct, polite thing to do. If we can not be polite to each other most of
the time, then the project is doomed, vetoes will not help.

To say it another way: if we work well together, we do not need vetoes, if
we do not work well together, vetoes would make it worse.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George