[FFmpeg-devel] ffprobe -debug 1: Output for FFV1 inconsistent

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Sep 13 23:48:20 CEST 2015

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 09:11:28PM +0200, Peter B. wrote:
> Hello again :)
>
> I've just noticed that the output of "ffprobe -debug 1" for FFV1 files
> has different labels for same parameters in different versions.
>
> For example:
>
> == FFV1.1:
> [ffv1 @ 0x3a8ab80] ver:1 keyframe:1 coder:0 ec:0 slices:1 bps:8
>
> == FFV1.3:
> [ffv1 @ 0x31584e0] global: ver:3.4, coder:0, colorspace: 0 bpr:8
> chroma:1(1:0), alpha:0 slices:2x2 qtabs:2 ec:1 intra:0 CRC:0x9A658FB3

> - What is "keyframe"?

a random access point

> - FFV1.1 has "slices"?

one could argue that any codec without slices has 1 slice per frame

> - "colorspace" only in FFV1.3
> - "intra" only in FFV1.3
> - "alpha" only in FFV1.3
> - keyword "global:" only in FFV1.3
>

> Why is that so?

The code parsing the headers differs and so does the debug printout
i think noone thought about / noticed these differences before

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.