[FFmpeg-devel] policy on "necro-bumping" patches

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Sep 16 00:05:35 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 05:35:53PM -0400, Ganesh Ajjanagadde wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> >> Well, assuming the issue of Ticket 2964 is not regarded as terribly
> >> incovenient...
> >> If you consider a 1-2 line addition to bashrc or zshrc as incovenient
> >> for a user (which we can document in wiki/faq, or wherever you want),
> >> and you feel the inconvenience of the issue of 2964 is less than that
> >> of some messed up terminals (non fate scripts), then yes, I agree with
> >> you. I am not convinced by this myself, so I think we should see what
> >> others think about this
> >
> >> (I think a formal poll is ridiculous for
> >> something this tiny).
> >
> > what we really would need to know is how many users are affected by
> > each of the 2 options, the choice should be made so as to
> > inconveience fewer.
>
> Such a thing is impossible to determine with any reasonable assurance
> - I presume FFmpeg is used in a variety of places. Who knows, distro
> maintainers in a few years may finally wake up when enough users
> complain to them about terminal trashing (from a variety of programs,
> e.g cat on binaries, gpg without --armor, etc) that they add the 1-2
> lines to the bashrc/zshrc that they ship.
>

> > also, the goal should be a better heuristic if at all possible
> > before weighting which inconveience is less
>
> I do not necessarily agree with this: a "better heuristic" is
> essentially a hack built on an existing hack - sometimes "less is
> more", and the simple, clean solution (and which is also "correct",
> since terminal cleanup is shell's responsibility and NOT FFmpeg's; try
> e.g cat /bin/ls) is the current patch.

"cat /bin/ls" will send the binary ls to the terminal and some of it
can get interpreted as various control chars. This behaviour is
correct and not a bug. One may very well intentionally do a
cat file_with_control_chars
to affect the state intentionally

If an application OTOH crashes then something should cleanup after it
that can be the shell

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire