[FFmpeg-devel] lavu: add text encoding conversion API

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Sep 24 12:38:13 CEST 2015

Le duodi 2 vendémiaire, an CCXXIV, James Darnley a écrit :
> At first I was wondering how FFmpeg would have a non-optional part of
> the API if you depend on optional things such as iconv.  I was half
> prepared to rant about NIH and seriously wondering what was going to be
> proposed.
>
> I think I see now that you are proposing a wrapper around other
> libraries.  Other than iconv I assume Windows has its own char encoding
> features which would likely be used here.

Well, I intend to have a built-in converter that handles UTF-8, ISO-8859-1,
UTF-16, UCS-2 and UCS-4, because that is very easy and quite convenient as a
fallback for systems lacking proper conversion libraries. But I definitely
do not intend to embed in lavu all the tables needed to convert from/to
legacy encodings.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George