[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Async M:N asynchronous API model discussion

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:40:19 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the increasing number of hardware accelerated API, the need for a
> proper M:N asynchronous API is growing. We've observed that with MMAL and
> VideoToolBox accelerations typically. Similarly, the incoming MediaCodec
> hwaccel is going to suffer from the same limitations.
>
> Some Libav developers started discussing API evolution in that regard, see
> https://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/2015/03/23/decoupling-an-api/
>
> A few FFmpeg developers are already interested in cooperating with Libav on
> that topic.
>
> #ffmpeg-devel
>
>     <@ubitux> just curious, anyone aside from wm4 & myself willing to work
> with libav for the m:n async api model? BBB maybe (not here :()?

I've had a brief discussion with Luca about it, yes. I'm happy to sit aside
and have you guys hash it out, my needs are probably simpler than yours.
I'm interested in getting frames from out-of-order-codecs (mpeg, h264,
hevc) at the end of GOPs, which such an API would allow.

I might even care about getting the frames out-of-order in special
situations (e.g. when I know the poc of a dropped packet in h264/hevc).
This could be part of such an API, but can be done on top of it also.

Ronald