[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Poll for the community

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Fri Sep 25 14:39:16 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to suggest a poll for the community in order to define some more
> clear directions for the project. I plan to post the poll on the mailing
> lists and IRC, people are free to forward them elsewhere.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion for a free & simple online poll, I'm listening.
> A poll system where people can pick the importance of each entry would be
> perfect.
>
> Here is the poll suggestion:
>
>     Evaluate in the following list what is important and what isn't for
>     you in the FFmpeg project:
>
>     - More bug fixes (please [+] them in the bug tracker)
>     - More test coverage to prevent regressions
>     - More "simple" features (new demuxers, new options, ...)
>     - More "advanced" features (high level API, scripting language
>       binding, filters rethinking, ...)
>     - More speed optimizations
>     - Better releases (LTS, more backports, ...)
>     - Overall cleanups (merge redundant decoders or dead/clumsy stuff)
>     - More API changes
>     - Less API changes
>     - Better API documentation (please specify)
>     - Better command line documentation (please specify)
>     - Other (please specify)
>
> I'd like to submit the poll by the end of next week. Comments on how to
> improve this list are very welcome, as well as my initial request about a
> poll system to use.

List looks mostly good to me. Here are some suggestions:
1. http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/ - I recall Nicolas
mentioning this as possibly useful - many projects (e.g VLC, glibc)
use it. I had a look at its use in these projects, and do think it
would be useful for FFmpeg. I think it is especially useful for
relatively high mailing volume lists like ffmpeg-devel. Patches
sometimes get forgotten, sometimes reviews are missing, etc -
patchwork helps alleviate such problems without disrupting the current
workflow. See for instance the quote on the webpage: "patchwork should
supplement mailing lists, not replace them".

I suggest creating an "infrastructure" section covering this and other
ideas of similar spirit.

2. I don't know whether "more/less API changes" covers the nuances of
API changes. There are other questions related to how/when API changes
need to be done. Maybe this is useful as a starting point, but I
suggest further thought on this.

As for the actual polling system, I do not have any ideas.