[FFmpeg-devel] How to handled gzip'd files?

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 15:02:27 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I was looking at these:
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/la-snm/grimfandango/
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/la-snm/force-commander-znm/
> and realized that they are perfectly supported, if you first
> run them through gunzip.
> However there are 2 issues here:
> 1) They are misdetected as all kinds of nonsense
> (http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/la-snm/grimfandango/byeruba.snm
> as AAC for example)
> 2) How should an ordinary user even come up with that idea?
>
> Do we have a way to transparently decompress?

Why would we? It's not like this is commonplace across all formats, it's
only present in a handful, and we can deal with it on a case-by-case basis,
just as we handle compressed mov. Right?

So probe and read_packet can optionally decompress and we're pretty much
done. I don't see the issue, and this is at best a few lines of code... If
you want to share unzip between probes, I'm sure you can extend the input
packet to have a "gzip-decompressed" buffer also. This stuff isn't hard.

Ronald