[FFmpeg-devel] Line endings in Makefiles

Andreas Weis der_ghulbus at ghulbus-inc.de
Fri Apr 22 07:52:56 CEST 2016

On 4/21/2016 10:31 AM, Hendrik Leppkes wrote:
> You can change the git configuration on a per-project basis, no need
> to change it on a global scale.

The stronger case here is in my opinion anyway the fact that this is not
something the user should have to worry about at all, especially if they
just want to do a quick build from source.
With the correct .gitattributes it always 'just works', eliminating a
potential source of confusion and simplifying the overall complexity of
the build process. This becomes especially useful if ffmpeg is being
built as part of a more complex toolchain, eg. as an ExternalProject
build in a CMake build script, that has to deal with all those
complexities explicitly.

> And on top of that, the issue has also been fixed in GNU make, you
> should probably update to a newer version if this is still happening
> for you. (ie. the version that comes with msys2 does not suffer from
> this issue anymore, for me anyway)

I tried with a fresh MinGW installation, as that is what is linked on
the wiki page (https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/MSVC) and
the problem does occur there. I did not try msys2, might very well be
that it has been fixed in a newer version of make there. The package
manager for MinGW advertises the make version as 3.82.90-2-cvs-20120902,
which does seem a bit dated.

The thing is though, with the correct line endings the build process
works flawlessly even on the older MinGW. So it might still be
beneficial to incorporate the changes, if (and this is the big if here)
there are no drawbacks arising from the change.

Thanks for the feedback,
Andreas