[FFmpeg-devel] CONFIG_W64_DEMUXER and dead-code elimination

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:09:15 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 1:17 AM, Matt Oliver <protogonoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously changing things would require a consensus from all the devs.
> Personally I would like to see the DCE stuff removed as currently as stated
> debug or lto builds will fail with msvc and these are both options that are
> support by the configure script yet wont actually build without errors
> until DCE is removed. Ive also seen similar issues when using icl as well
> so although some may state there advantages to DCE it is fundamentally
> breaking things on certain platforms so it should be decided what is more
> important.

The discussion has so far always centered around the fact that DCE is
available on all platforms we support. The same reason was given to use C99
as a baseline.

When it turned out that Microsoft had incompetent leaders in their compiler
team, we wrote the converter for them, and the humiliation worked, MSVC
supports C99 now.

I'm estimating that writing a DCE converter would take as little as a tenth
of the time it took us to wrote the C99 converter. Public embarrassment
works really well in some situations, and Microsoft is in clear need of it.

Ronald