[FFmpeg-devel] snapshots differ from git clone

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Aug 3 03:12:11 EEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 10:41:09PM +0000, Timothy Gu wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 3:10 PM Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> wrote:
>
> > Le sextidi 16 thermidor, an CCXXIV, Jan Ehrhardt a écrit :
> > > Because it is faster to download a snapshot and extract it than
> > > doing a git clone
> >
> > I suggest you consider doing a shallow clone (--depth 1). It should take
> > roughly the same time as getting and unpacking a snapshot. IIRC, one of the
> > minor perks of doing that is that the version script will give a more
> > useful
> > version tag.
> >

> At least here, Git is still slower. In addition, https://git.ffmpeg.org
> doesn't seem to support --depth.
>
> $ time curl https://www.ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot.tar.bz2 | tar
> -jxf -
> real 0m10.331s
> user 0m2.272s
> sys 0m0.312s
> $ git clone --depth=1 https://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git ffmpeg2
> Cloning into 'ffmpeg2'...
> fatal: protocol error: bad pack header

this is due to git wanting to write temporary files into the repository
which is not writable.
Making it writable would be trivial and thats how linaro seems to
have "fixed" it, but iam not sure thats a good idea security wise
Updatng the git to something beyond whats available from the official
ubuntu we use might fix this but then future security updates would
become harder.
(recent git is available at
 https://launchpad.net/~git-core/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
 so we would still have distro provided packages but security support
 would be an open question ...)
so while all solutions are kind of not hard, iam a bit undecided
what should be done about that

Avoid a single point of failure, be that a person or equipment.