[FFmpeg-devel] next Outreachy & GSoC ideas braindump [RFC]

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Aug 3 22:36:05 EEST 2016

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 03:55:08PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 7/31/2016 5:01 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > you have a great idea for a Outreachy task or a GSoC task ?
> > Or something you always wanted to do but never had the time and
> > it would fit in the time for GSoC/Outreachy ?
> > Or some feature you always wanted which would fit as a task?
> > Also keep in mind Outreachy is more flexible and not limited to
> > coding tasks !
> > reply and dump it here below:
>
> Writing new examples or porting decoding_encoding.c and
> demuxing_decoding.c to use codecpar and send/receive packet/frame.
> Writing documentation with steps to migrate applications using
> old APIs to new ones like the above, so we don't have to deal
> with tons of projects sticking to deprecated APIs two years from
> now and blocking or complicating their scheduled removal.
>
> Maye also adding or extending doxy on public and private header,
> sort of like what Timothy did the last couple days, but as Paul
> said, coding related there's probably not a whole lot left that
> can be easily done by students.

what about writing guides/howtos about how to build/replace FFmpeg
on all kinds of hw

i mean everything these days uses FFmpeg below one or more layers
and users should have the right to replace their products FFmpeg
maybe with one that has more features enabled or a newer version
but in practice for how many products that contain FFmpeg can
the user actually do this easily? ...

If you fake or manipulate statistics in a paper in physics you will never
get a job again.
If you fake or manipulate statistics in a paper in medicin you will get
a job for life at the pharma industry.