[FFmpeg-devel] Log level of message "Increasing reorder buffer to ..."

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.software
Thu Aug 4 15:41:39 EEST 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > the log level of INFO does not seem appropriate for the message
> (h264dec.c,
> > line 531). If it is a condition that shouldn't really happen, it should
> be
>
> It does happen, see at least two related tickets iirc.

Yes, of course, I am observing it all the time (see below). This was rather
a (redundant) explanation what my understanding of the purpose of log level
WARNING usually is. Our logs are full of this

> > a warning, otherwise it should be debug (especially for library users
> this
> > floods the logs as this seems to happen for many files.
> >
> > Would a patch, setting this to DEBUG be accepted?
>
> I don't think so: It was intentionally increased to allow users to
> understand
> why libavcodec eat a frame.

"Eats a frame" means what exactly? Does the decoder then miss a frame? If
so, I haven't observed this and need to check again as that would be
serious. So far, I thought this warning was harmless.

If the library logging is designed for the command line then I can, of
course, always patch locally. Just thought I'd ask to better understand. Do
you remember the related tickets?