[FFmpeg-devel] Change bitrate on-the-fly PoC (Patch)

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 01:02:26 EEST 2016

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Llorx <dallorx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some days ago I started a thread here:
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2016-August/197306.html
>
> Starting a new thread now because I lost my main thread mail and don't know
> how to "reply" without having it in my inbox :-(
>
> ffmpeg has almost on-the-fly bitrate change control already built-in,
> checking rc_buffer_size and rc_max_rate changes, so I only needed to change
> those values while ffmpeg was running.
>
> I attach my Proof of Concept.
>
> PoC limitations:
>  - Not configurable via command line.
>  - The build will start listening on localhost (127.0.0.1) UDP port 32000
> always.

This is a pretty significant feature from a security PoV. I'm honestly not
even sure it belongs in upstream ffmpeg... Don't get me wrong, I understand
what you're doing and why you're doing it this way and maybe this is the
best (or at least quickest) way to do it. I might have done it the same way
if I was trying to do what you're doing, I'm not sure.

But, having said that, I doubt that every user's build of ffmpeg
necessarily needs this feature.

Ronald