[FFmpeg-devel] next Outreachy & GSoC ideas braindump [RFC]

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Aug 8 13:39:24 EEST 2016

On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 07:47:19PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 07:48:36PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Michael Niedermayer
> > <michael at niedermayer.cc>

> > > I have some ideas. Most are TODOs / extensions to stuff I wrote that I
> > > never ended up doing myself. Some might be hard.
> > >
> > > vp9:
> > > - avx2 loopfilter functions. Qualification task: explain to me without
> > any
> > > guidance why it's an issue for AVX2 (or SSE2) that the loopfilter in
> > vp9.c
> > > works on 8px blocks, and explain how I solved that to work on 16px blocks
> > > to use SSE2 instructions, and likewise explain how you would extend that
> > > work on 32px blocks.
> >
> > the Qualification task sounds interresting, we required for applicants
> > though always to submit a patch that then gets reveiwed and applied.
> > Generally a small/tiny part of the whole project.
> > So i would suggest to require the applicant to do that as well as your
> > Qualification task
> >

> Progress on cols-only C wrapper sounds like a good qual task.
>

> please add any projects you want to mentor to the page.
>

> I noticed the deadline is Aug 22, I'll be on vacation until end of Aug so I
> won't have time to either add things to wiki or to help students get
> started. Should probably hold this off until the next round.

If the dates for this round match last years then
For this round participating organizations will be announced in
september, applicants likely wont do much before september
the internship period will likely be december to march

the next round after that participating orgs would likely be announced
in february and the internship would be may to end of august

so if you have no time in august next year then you certainly cannot
mentor in the next round, this years august has no impact on either
round.

also this round is in winter the next is in summer and will overlap
with GSoC. The winter round allows people to participate who have no
time in the northern summer (generally people living on the southern
side of that blue ball i guess)

So IMO it makes sense for us to participate in this round, in the
next (if we are accepted to GSoC again) we would have to split
resources between 2 "Sponsoring Programs"

Also just to remind we need an admin for this round too!

Those who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.