[FFmpeg-devel] Log level of message "Increasing reorder buffer to ..."

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 19:42:42 EEST 2016

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > the log level of INFO does not seem appropriate for the message
>> > (h264dec.c, line 531). If it is a condition that shouldn't really happen,
>> > it should be
>>
>> It does happen, see at least two related tickets iirc.
>
> Yes, of course, I am observing it all the time (see below). This was rather
> a (redundant) explanation what my understanding of the purpose of log level
> WARNING usually is. Our logs are full of this

That surprises me a little because I thought no public encoder produces
such streams - see my questions in the related tickets.

>> > a warning, otherwise it should be debug (especially for library
>> > users this floods the logs as this seems to happen for many files.
>> >
>> > Would a patch, setting this to DEBUG be accepted?
>>
>> I don't think so: It was intentionally increased to allow users to

(I am of course not the h264 maintainer.)

>> understand why libavcodec eat a frame.
>
> "Eats a frame" means what exactly? Does the decoder then miss a frame?

Yes, except if I misunderstand the issue.

> If so, I haven't observed this and need to check again as that would
> be serious. So far, I thought this warning was harmless.

I believe in most use cases, a dropped (B-) frame is harmless.

> If the library logging is designed for the command line then I can, of
> course, always patch locally. Just thought I'd ask to better understand.

I don't understand: Isn't this at most one warning per stream to inform
you about -strict 1? And don't you get many warnings for many kind
of streams (mpegts)?

> Do you remember the related tickets?

As git blame would have told you:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/5138