[FFmpeg-devel] Possible long(er?) term support

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 21:45:33 EEST 2016

On 8/24/2016 3:11 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 08/24/2016 11:54 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Hi!

>>>   Would the ffmpeg developers be willing treat any particular release as a
>>> long-term-support release and try to do security updates for it?
>>
>> Could you define "long-term"?
>>
>> Carl Eugen
>
> Well, EL7 itself will be around for a long time (till 2024), but we don't
> expect any open-source project to have support for that long. But something in
> the 2-3 year range would be very helpful.

Development of FFmpeg is fast and the codebase changes a lot in a years
time, meaning backporting fixes to old releases becomes a hassle the more
time passes, so usually only the most recent four or five releases are
actively maintained.
Important/critical security fixes however are usually backported to almost
every affected branch even if not actively maintained.

In any case, maintainers for old and even more recent releases to take care
of bug and security fixes backporting are always welcome.