[FFmpeg-devel] [GSoC] Motion Interpolation

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 02:31:32 EEST 2016

Davinder Singh wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 5:38 AM Andy Furniss <adf.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> Nice I can see the edges are better than the last version.
>>
>> The doc/filters.texi hunk doesn't apply to git master.
>>
>> I was going to post some comparisons with mcfps tonight, but I'll
>> need to redo them to see what's changed.

I am testing with a somewhat artificial sample in that it's a framerate
de-interlace + scale down of a 1080i master, though it is "real" in the
sense that I may want to repair similar files where people have produced
a juddery mess by using yadif=0.

It's very fast and my old (2010 Panasonic plasma) TV can't interpolate
it without artifacting in a few places, it can interpolate a field rate
version flawlessly and both mcfps and minterpolate do a lot better with
a 50fps master version -> 100fps, though they are still not perfect.

As well as being fast it has overlays of varying opacity and some
repeating patterns just to make things even harder.

Some observations while trying to get the best result - given the number
of options only a small subset could be tested:

aobmc vs ombc, vsbmc 0 or 1 = no real difference.

Any me method other than epzs had far too many artifacts to be used.

Raising search_param to 48 or 64 or 128 just causes new artifacts.

Reducing mb_size causes new artifacts.

bilat vs bidir - similar but bilat has some artifacts on a still shot
near the end of the defaults sample uploaded. bidir sometimes has green
near the top of the screen.

There are of course many small artifacts, to be seen by slowmo/framestep
for both minterpolate and mcfps. Viewing fullspeed mcfps artifacts less
on the car when it touches the edges than minterpolate. Frame stepping
shows mcfps doesn't blend/blur as much on really fast moving background
as minterpolate does.

Included in the link below (which is a tar to stop google drive making
terrible low quality/fps previews) are the 25fps master file, mcfps
interpolation to 50fps, minterpolate with default options and
minterpolate with defaults + bidir.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxP5-S1t9VEEM2VrTzlVdGZURVk/view?usp=sharing