[FFmpeg-devel] Possible long(er?) term support

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Aug 27 13:48:59 EEST 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 12:59:53PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 08/25/2016 04:05 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> >> Well, EL7 itself will be around for a long time (till 2024), but we don't
> >> expect any open-source project to have support for that long. But something in
> >> the 2-3 year range would be very helpful.
> >
> > Calling one of our releases from time to time LTS certainly makes
> > sense from a marketing point of view ...
> > Doing that with a consistent shedule and clearly stated timeframe
> > also makes sense
> > Also synchronizing such shedule with distros and user applications
> > would make sense
> >
> > To support a release better, longer or with more clearly stated shedule
> > requires someone with the will and time to stand
> > behind it though. Is there someone this applies to ?
> > Do you know someone this applies to ?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I'm not sure who the questions are addressed to.  But in any case, it looks
> like rpmfusion will be shipping ffmpeg 2.8 in their epel7 release.  So it
> would be helpful to try to support that for as long as it is reasonable.  I'm
> sure everyone involved will try to help out where possible.  Thanks.

which other distros use 2.8 ? (that is distro releases which will not/
cannot upgrade to 3.*)

we can add "LTS" to the next 2.8 point release and announce this
if the community agrees and is willing to help support the effort

If we do this, we should clearly state how long LTS support will last
that is basically how long people are willing to commit themselfs to
backporting security fixes.
how long would you help doing that for example?

Thanks

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.