[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Revoke the decision of dropping ffserver

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Wed Dec 7 20:29:58 EET 2016

Le quintidi 15 frimaire, an CCXXV, Rostislav Pehlivanov a écrit :
> I need more time to decide.

You supported dropping ffserver since before the vote started, and now
you are hesitating? Seriously?

Arriving at the last minute when it became obvious the tide turned to
ensure a longer delay. Where did I see that? This whole circus is
looking more and more like the libmpcodec travesty.

Let us see where we are:

drop    James Almer
drop    Paul B Mahol
drop    Ronald S. Bultje (slightly invalid)

keep    Andreas Cadhalpun
keep    Marton Balint
keep    Michael Niedermayer (slightly invalid)
keep    Nicolas George
keep    Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet (slightly invalid)

spoilt  wm4
blank   Lukasz Marek

Well, for now, you cannot remove ffserver. You can continue discussing
if you want.

For the people who want to actually move forward, I suggest the
following guidelines:

For any fringe component of the project, ffserver or anything that shows
the same issues in the future:

- There is a problem if, during the course of development, either:

  1. the component is present in the default execution path of the
     important tools (at probing, for example) and that causes execution
     bugs;

  2. the component causes a compilation failure with default /
     reasonable options.

- If there is no such problem, leave it alone and get working on
  something useful!

- If you are hit by one such problem, then:

  1. Make an honest attempt at fixing it yourself. Emphasis on the word
     "honest".

  2. If that proves impossible, post the description of the problem on
     the mailing-list and demand the maintainers to fix it. If necessary
     (depending on the urgency of your own development, the availability
     of the developers), set an ultimatum, even with a short deadline.

  3. If the ultimatum expires, disable the component. Disable, not
     remove: that is what requires the least amount of work from you,
     and also what will require the least amount of work from the
     maintainer later.

  4. If the component has been disabled for some time, then we can
     discuss removing it.

The short version of it is:

If you do not LIKE a component, IGNORE it but do not HATE it.

Hate is what spoils the ambiance in projects.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George