[FFmpeg-devel] GPL license violation

Andrea Lazzarotto andrea.lazzarotto at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 21:39:40 CET 2016

Hi,

I recently discovered a proprietary software violating multiple licenses of
several open source projects, including Mplayer, FFmpeg and XviD.

The program is SmartCutter by Fame Ring: http://www.fame-ring
.com/smart_cutter.html

If you download their "portable version" and grep on the binary, you will
get quite a bit of stuff:

strings smart.exe | grep -C 2 -i "enable-gpl"
[...]
--enable-gpl --enable-postproc
libavcodec license: GPL version 2 or later
Found %i unreleased buffers!
--
Picture size %ux%u is invalid
IMGUTILS

Of course no source code nor GPL information is provided by them.

I hope you may find a way to force them into complying with the license.
They should be obliged to publish their source code at the very least.

Best regards

--
Andrea Lazzarotto
http://andrealazzarotto.com