[FFmpeg-devel] [Bounty] Impl. check if input h264 P/B frame ref's frame prior to last I

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Feb 22 23:40:00 CET 2016

Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin <at> fastmail.com> writes:

> > Since valid, useful H264 streams with many ("safe") seek
> > points but without I or IDR frames exist, the statement
> > "only IDR frames are safe seek points" can't be true.
>
> What it takes on libavformat API application level
> to figure out which non-I/non-IDR frame is safe to
> seek onto?

I may miss something but by default, seeking in H264
streams (no matter if they contain IDR frames or not)
with libavformat guarantees to provide a complete
frame as first frame after seeking.
There is an option to also show the corrupted frames.

> See quoted above my phrase about introspection of
> references. Is it involved in what you are talking
> about?

I have never heard the term "introspection of
references", sorry.

Carl Eugen