[FFmpeg-devel] [WIP] SDL2 in ffplay

Andreas Cadhalpun andreas.cadhalpun at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:35:37 CET 2016

On 05.01.2016 21:03, Marton Balint wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2016, Roger Pack wrote:
>> Perhaps you could update the "sdl out" filter as well? :)
>
> I guess that shouldn't be too hard, but is there anybody who thinks that we should
> NOT drop SDL1 support? Because if there is, then I am less motivated doing it...

libsdl2 is not present in Debian 6 Squeeze (supported until February 2016).
For Debian 7 Wheezy it's available via Backports and it's regularly included in
Debian 8 Jessie.
Also it's present in all supported Ubuntu releases except 12.04 (supported until 2017).

Also it's not available for RHEL 5/6, only for 7 (via EPEL).

So people wanting to use bleeding edge ffplay on these oldest supported LTS releases
would have to compile libsdl2 manually or just upgrade.
I don't think that would be a problem.

Best regards,
Andreas