[FFmpeg-devel] have some major changes for nvenc support

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Jan 8 18:25:20 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 03:04:26PM +0300, Andrey Turkin wrote:
> In my opinion this proliferation of various filters which do the same thing
> in different way is a configuration headache. There's CPU filters: one for
> scaling/format conversion, one for padding, one  for cropping, like 5
> different filters for deinterlacing. And now there would be nvresize for
> scaling, and we gotta add CUDA-based nvpad and nvdeint if we want to do
> some transcoding. Maybe add overlaying too - so nvoverlay. Then there is
> OpenCL which can do everything - so 4 more filters for that. And there is
> quicksync which I think can do those things, so there would be qsvscale and
> qsvdeint. And there is D3D11 video processor which can do those things too
> (simultaneously in fact), so there's gotta be
> d3d11vascaledeintpadcropoverlay. And then we've got a whole bunch of video
> filters which can only do their job on a specific hwaccel platform. Want to
> try different hwaccel? Rewrite damn filter string. Want to do something
> generic that can be used over different platforms? Can't be done.
> Maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but I was wondering for some time if
> there can be one "smart" filter to do one specific thing? Say, single
> deinterlace filter which can automatically use whichever hwaccel was used
> on its input (or whichever will be used on its output)? We've already got
> pixel formats which describe particular hwaccel - can't filters decide
> which code path to use based on that? And it can have a configuration

Also slightly orthogonal but if you have 4 filters each written for a
different hwaccel you can write a generic filter that passes its
stuff to the appropriate one
If theres not much shareale code between hw specific filters then this
might be cleaner than throwing all hw specifc code in one filter
directly

such seperate filters could use the existing conditional compilation
code, could be used directly if the user wants to force a specific
hw type, ...

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates