[FFmpeg-devel] core infrastructure badge for FFmpeg

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Jul 6 15:51:34 EEST 2016

On 06 Jul, Ganesh Ajjanagadde wrote :
> > But, you could at least be a bit more truthful when filling it:
> >  - the buildsystem is not common tools, since you have your own
> >    configure (it's a SUGGESTED thing anyway)
>
> As far as I know, shell script is a common tool available on POSIX platforms.

This is not what they mean:
They mention "For example, Maven, Ant, cmake, the autotools, make, or
rake". Else, they would mention shell script, since it's the base of
many of those tools.
A custom script is not a common build system tool.

> >  - the new functionnality testing is only done in libavcodec,
>
> I did not assert to the contrary, but it is certainly an "informal" policy per the dev docs.
> I did acknowledge the lack of tests in certain places such as libavfilter.

Not only libavfilter.

> >  - half of the links given are over github, which is not FLOSS and is
> >    just a mirror... And other on ffmpeg.org
>
> So what? There is no requirement that the links must be posted on FLOSS sites,
> whatever that means which you conveniently leave unspecified.
>
> The purpose of the mirror here is just as a reference point, and can always be changed.
> There is some lack of consistency in link usage, I am going to change it.

I just mean that this is not coherent. Especially on something that is
not controlled by you.

> >  - you do not use SEMVER (it's a SUGGESTED improvement too)
>
> I thought we did, since that is what I assumed the chicanery regarding major, minor, etc was all about.
> Will amend.

SEMVER is stupid anyway.

> >  - everything related to external users should be N/A and not "met",
> >    (I doubt they mean trac here)
>
> Please be more explicit here. What is wrong with trac as a link for a bug tracker?

Good cryptographic practices, questions 8 and 9 should be "N/A", not
"met": you don't store users credential, as you say in the comment.

> >  - where is written the policy that coverity must be run on each release?
>
> No policy, but Michael did say that "we do run coverity around the release time generally".
> From my experience over the last 6 months, Coverity was run at least once before each release.
> If there was an instance where it was not, sure, I will remove it.

"said" and "policy" are different things, notably for MUST items.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734