[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Bugs and CC

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 21:23:58 CEST 2016

On 6/10/2016 3:59 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 10:38:19AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer <michael <at> niedermayer.cc> writes:
>>
>>> Should the author of a commit causing a regression be added to
>>> the CC of bugs if he has a trac account ?
>>
>> The reason I am not doing this is that it was heavily discouraged
>> in the past.
>
> arent you mixing ML with trac here ?
> CC is discouraged for ML but for trac i think it would be helpfull
> because the alternative is for everone to check every git hash
> that gets added to a ticket ... if one doesnt want to miss bugs
> one caused

I have never seen CC being discouraged for ML replies. They are in
fact useful seeing that sometimes contributors unsubscribe because
they dislike high traffic lists like this one but still maintain or
otherwise fix code they submitted if it broke something.
The emails may also appear as higher priority depending on your
provider and client if you're cc'd while subscribed.

Adding someone as CC on a trac ticket would generate traffic of
emails for every new comment made in that ticket, which can be
annoying, so I'd say a better idea would to be email the author of
the code in question once to inform them of the regression and a
link to the ticket, and let them add themselves as CC if needed.