[FFmpeg-devel] bans

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:20:22 CEST 2016

On 6/16/16, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 10:50:51AM -0300, James Almer wrote:
>> On 6/15/2016 10:14 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > As noone is doing anything about the situation and what is being
>> > done will not lead anywhere (the vote likely wont lead anywhere as
>> > likely few would ban a active developer 4 month and then if not
>> > some will feel injustice prevailed thus
>> >
>> > After writing this mail i will
>> >
>> > 1. ban carl for 24h from the ML due to
>> > causing  derek to leave the project. (24h was suggested in the IRC
>> > meeting)
>>
>> This is useless IMO. While four months is too much, 24 hours is
>> insignificant.
>>

>> Let's not implement bans without a discussion and a vote first.
>
> I agree but if i do nothing people are unhappy that i did nothing,
> if i talk with people trying to resolve a conflict well, it did not
> work this time. and if i do something else people complain too.
> and its 4 weeks since the incident.
> Doing some symbolic action seemed to make sense until the people
> finish discussions and votes.
> I believe i do not have the authority to hand out real (week+) bans,
> nor would i want that authority. Also i will stay away
> from symbolic bans too, this was intended to improve the situation,
> and i believe it did not achieve that.

One way to resolve the matter as mature people would be
asking Carl to explain his words and actions in civilized manner,
then apologize for going over the board.

It is completely counterproductive to escalate the issue with
attempts for public humiliation and punishment,
without making attempts for addressing the bad behavior
they are supposed to stop.