[FFmpeg-devel] Subtitles for GSoC

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Thu Mar 10 22:47:38 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 06:12:57PM +0100, Gerion Entrup wrote:
[...]
> > - an USF demuxer which extracts the timing and text (with its markup) of
> >   every event, and put them into an AVPacket
> >
> > - introduce an USF codec and write a decoder that will transform the
> >   xml-like markup into ASS markup (see below)
> I've implement such a demuxer and decoder, based on SAMI (see other mail).
> But XML parsing with the builtin tools is a real pain and hard to extend later.
>
> If the GSoC project come off, please let me change this and maybe the SAMI code
> into code based on a xmllib. Header parsing should be doable then as well.

I don't mind that much, but keep in mind that SAMI is typically an old
broken mutant HTML based format, with unclosed tags and various other
insanities. And aside from the madness of the specifications, you have no
idea how broken the files in the wild can be. If you want to pick a
library, you have to make sure it's able to fallback on its feet when
getting unexpected input. Doing a memory search for the timing marker is
often the most reliable thing to do when dealing with subtitles, in
general.

Clément B.