[FFmpeg-devel] AAC optimizations and 3.0

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 15:08:11 CET 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Hendrik Leppkes <h.leppkes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Michael Niedermayer
> <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 09:28:50PM -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:

>>> Even if that implies much bigger changes? (like the one I commented
>>> about aacpsy allocation)
>>
>> i would say whatever is needed to make the code perform speedwise
>> similar to before 3.0
>>

> If it requires significant refactoring beyond simple performance
> fixes, it should most definitely NOT go into a release branch.

In that case, I don't really know what should be done. For example,
the only major boost will come from Claudio's stuff, assuming it
materializes. The simple one-liner stuff from Reimar and me does not
add up to more than 30% or so in speed, which could still be useful
for clients.

I think we should table this for now until all this stuff goes into
master to get a clearer picture on the improvements. Then we can
discuss which commits everyone is comfortable with putting onto the
release branch.