[FFmpeg-devel] FFMPEG and Audio&Video Sync

Ibrahim Tachijian barhom at netsat.se
Fri Nov 18 19:49:12 EET 2016

Hello,

We have problems with long-running ffmpeg processes where the input source
is sometimes lossy. The input comes from Satellite and therefore there will
always be some loss sometimes, there is nothing we can do about fixing the
input.

Our issue is that, after lossy input signal, the audio and video goes out
of sync. When this happens ffmpeg will stay out of sync forever and our
remedy is to restart the ffmpeg process.

The way that we detect audio/video being out of sync is by looking at the
"start_time" values of audio/video using "ffprobe -show_streams"

Now, is there something that ffmpeg can do from within the software to
detect audio/video being out of sync in order to correct itself without
being forced to restart? Or is this a known limitation that wont be solved
without rewriting a large part of the codebase?

Thanks,