[FFmpeg-devel] [DECISION] Revoke the decision of dropping ffserver

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:38:46 EET 2016

On 11/28/2016 5:52 PM, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 07:15:28PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
>> Deadline: 2016-12-06 00:00 UTC.
>>
>> I propose, and put to the discussion, that the decision to drop ffserver
>> is revoked, conditioned to the fixing of the technical issues that lead
>> to it.
>>

>> In other words, if the technical problems that require dropping ffserver
>> are resolved at the time it is about to be dropped, then it must not be
>> and the patch is not applied.
>
> Do we agree that the requirements are the following:
>
> - ZERO internal API usage
> - at least partial FATE coverage
>
> ?
>
> What's the due date already? Next release?

There are more important things to establish than just that.

Seeing Nicolas is apparently very invested in ffserver, can we expect him to
maintain it, improve and extend it if it were to remain in the tree? Or is he
just fighting this fight to not remove code for the sake of not removing code,
and will forget about it and expect someone else to deal with it if it starts
bitrotting again?

And furthermore, how can we even trust anything that's agreed out of this, if
the very existence of this vote derives from people being incapable of honoring
previous agreements? Will people once again come out of the woodwork at the very
last second, start flipping tables and decreeing on a whim that everything should
be declared invalid, much like Nicolas is doing right now?

This entire situation is simply embarrassing, no matter how you look at it or how
you try to rationalize it.