[FFmpeg-devel] comma at the end of enumerator lists

Michael Behrisch oss at behrisch.de
Tue Oct 18 00:23:31 EEST 2016

Hi Ronald,

Am 17.10.2016 um 21:37 schrieb Ronald S. Bultje:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Michael Behrisch <oss at behrisch.de>
> wrote:

>>> this is about a cosmetic change having no real technical effect
>>
>> So here are my cosmetics for libavutil. It simply helps with
>> keeping track of real warnings in downstream projects.
>

> Why are you using -Wpedantic?

My main reason is that we are compiling with different compilers for
different platforms and -Wpedantic at least promises to keep the code
closer to the standard and thus better transferable. I never tested
whether this is actually true, but I like the fact that the project
currently compiles with gcc, clang and msvc and welcome every tool and
option that helps me to keep it this way. See also here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2855121/what-is-the-purpose-of-using-pedantic-in-gcc-g-compiler

> Most people use warnings as a way for the compiler to inform them of
> potential bugs in their code; has -Wpedantic ever helped you find
> bugs?

I cannot think of any but to be honest I cannot even tell exactly which
warnings are enabled by which of the -Wall, -Wextra and -Wpedantic flags
and it is surprisingly hard to find out.

Best regards,
Michael