[FFmpeg-devel] ogg kate text subtitles support (patch)

Clément Bœsch u at pkh.me
Mon Oct 24 15:25:37 EEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 01:31:10PM +0200, u-9iep at aetey.se wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 12:18:23PM +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> > Today, in practice, we have to support all kind of mix of subtitles markup
> > in various formats because of this. It would be great not to make things
> > worst :)
>
> Let's see.
>
> Looking at kateenc code I believe that the intention was to keep
> Kate "compatible with SRT markup" whatever it means.
>
> The encoder does not interpret/recode markup between srt and kate. What
> it does is to handle the metainformation about the presence of markup
> (which presence or absence is explicit in Kate).
>
> So we will quite certainly do the users a favor by _not_ cleaning the
> possibly present markup tags, when converting from kate to srt.
>
> Does this sound good enough?

I could replace srt with any other subtitles format. Whether it's Kate or
SubRip markup, I don't want it in ASS or MicroDVD.

If the Kate markup is the same as SRT, then you should output SubRip
packets in the OGG demuxer, and you do not need to write a Kate decoder.
Otherwise, you need to do just like the SRT decoder: handle the markup
(that is, decode it as the internal representation), or just strip it for
a start.

--
Clément B.