[FFmpeg-devel] Debug builds and if (ARCH_...) linking issues

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:51:24 EEST 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:39:57 +1000
Matt Oliver <protogonoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 April 2017 at 17:20, Aaron Levinson <alevinsn at aracnet.com> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to build a debug build of ffmpeg using Visual C++ today, one
> > without any optimizations.  This implies the use of the -Od compiler
> > option.  Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that the build fails soon
> > after it starts because it can't find certain architecture-specific
> > references.  For example, in libavutil/cpu.c, there is the following:
> >
> >     if (ARCH_AARCH64)
> >         return ff_get_cpu_flags_aarch64();
> >
> > The linker couldn't find ff_get_cpu_flags_aarch64 (and other similar
> > references) and failed.  This isn't an issue when optimizations are turned
> > on because the compiler notices that ARCH_AARCH64 is defined as 0 and
> > eliminates the relevant code.
> >
> > Effectively, successful builds of ffmpeg depend on this compiler
> > optimization.  This appears to have been the standard practice in the
> > ffmpeg code base for at least the last few years, but it is unclear to me
> > why this approach is being used, since, in addition to depending on
> > specific compiler behavior, it prevents fully debug builds from succeeding,
> > at least with Visual C++.
> >
> > If people like the if (ARCH_...) syntax, while it wouldn't look quite as
> > nice, what's wrong with doing the following:
> >
> > #if ARCH_AARCH64
> >     if (ARCH_AARCH64)
> >         return ff_get_cpu_flags_aarch64();
> > #endif
> >
> > Another, much less desirable option is to use #pragma optimize for the
> > relevant functions in ffmpeg to turn optimizations on for specific
> > functions.
> >
> > A third option would be to build only the relevant files with
> > optimizations turned on, but this will end up making the Makefiles more
> > complicated, and the relative simplicity of the Makefiles is appealing.
> >
> > For now, I'm using both -Od and -Og with Visual C++ (-Og turns on some
> > optimizations, but not as much as -O1 or -O2), but this isn't the same as a
> > true debug build.
> >

> Similar patches have been submitted before. This is an issue with Dead Code
> Elimination (DCE) within FFmpeg and the fact the MSVC doesn't support
> removing it in debug builds.
>
> There have been some discussions on the mailing list in the past about
> resolving this but nothing was ever decided.
>
> As a quick and dirty work around I have a tool that i wrote that scans in
> the configure/makefile from a ffmpeg distro and generates a native Visual
> Studio project file that can be used to just compile within Visual Studio
> itself. You just pass it the desired configure options that you want to use
> to build the project and it will make one for you. The main thing is that
> it scans the source and automatically generates the missing DCE sections
> and adds them so that everything will compile correctly with Debug builds
> and you can debug directly in VS. You can find the tool here
> http://shiftmediaproject.github.io/1-projects/ (normally i wouldn't put
> [...]

Any chance you could revive your old patches to remove the DCE
requirement? (Not sure if there were any patches.)

Before you do any real work, make a thread on the ML requesting
comments on this. Although I would very much welcome such patches, I'm
not fully sure about others.

This DCE requirement is pretty painful, and affects debugging on Linux
as well.