[FFmpeg-devel] [DISCUSSION] Motion Estimation API/Library

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Aug 1 09:26:51 EEST 2017

Le quartidi 14 thermidor, an CCXXV, Davinder Singh a écrit :
> As we've been planning since forever (
> https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavcodec/snow.h#L182,
> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2016-July/197095.html) we need
> Motion Estimation code that could be shared in codecs and motion filters.
>
> The idea is to make the Motion Estimation idependent of Encoders more
> specifically - AVCodecContext.

This is a very good idea.

> So, I’ve moved motion estimation and me_cmp code to a new location -
> libmotion <https://github.com/dsmudhar/FFmpeg/tree/gsoc17/libmotion>. I
> think it’s a good idea to make a new lib instead moving it to
> libavutil (as discussed
> previously <http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2016-July/197161.html>).
> That way we can make it independent of everything else in FFmpeg.

But this is not. Please no, not yet another library!

A separate library like that will at the beginning only be used by the
handful of hard-core developers. Unless it meets a wide success very
fast, with very useful tools available immediately, it will soon be
forgotten ("seems interesting, but not yet mature, I'll come back and
see in six months") and start bitrotting as soon as you have moved to
something else.

In particular, the main policy of FFmpeg is to not depend on external
libraries for core features. Therefore, if your project is a separate
library, it will definitely not be used by FFmpeg codecs like you wish
in your first paragraph.

If you want a fighting chance of a project that is not stillborn, I
think you need to make it part of FFmpeg, and make sure important
components of FFmpeg use it as soon as possible.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George