[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.4

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 18:32:08 EEST 2017

On 8/26/2017 12:20 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 11:03:27AM -0300, James Almer wrote:
>> On 8/26/2017 6:28 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>> Its a while since FFmpeg 3.3, so its time again to make a new release
>>> I intend to make 3.4 in the next weeks
>>> Name suggestions needed like always
>> Could this wait until after the major bump? I'm currently working on
>> cherry picking the relevant changes.
>> We really don't need another release using this set of major versions.
>> The less amount of releases using them we have to maintain the better.
> i remember no discussion about a major bump

I mentioned in another thread my intention to cherry pick the relevant
changes seeing merges are currently on hold with the bump commit not too
far in the queue.
I'm currently ironing some details and I'll send a patchset later for
review with the adapted cherry picked changes. And if for whatever
reason people don't want the bump now, then the work will at least be
already done for when the merges resume.

> but assuming there would be a discussion on ffmpeg-devel and people
> would agree to bump then i think releasing before is better.
> It makes the new features available throgh the current API/ABI and
> we would avoid making a release shortly after major changes.
> That would give such changes more time to be tested before a release

There have been like four releases using these current library major
versions, and the ABI was accidentally broken at least twice. It would
be IMO much better if we don't release another one that would extend the
amount of time we have to maintain it and its deprecated APIs.

And I never said to release shortly after a bump. 3.4 (maybe renumbered
to 4.0) could simply be released a month or two after the bump. That
amount is nonetheless needed to properly deal with any needed ABI
related corrections.
There's really no rush to get another release out there right this
moment. But if you prefer doing a last release before the bump then I'll
not block it.

More information about the ffmpeg-devel mailing list