[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.4

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Sun Aug 27 16:04:21 EEST 2017

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 11:03:27AM -0300, James Almer wrote:
>> On 8/26/2017 6:28 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Its a while since FFmpeg 3.3, so its time again to make a new release
>>>
>>> I intend to make 3.4 in the next weeks
>>> Name suggestions needed like always
>>
>> Could this wait until after the major bump? I'm currently working on
>> cherry picking the relevant changes.
>> We really don't need another release using this set of major versions.
>> The less amount of releases using them we have to maintain the better.
>
> i remember no discussion about a major bump
>
> but assuming there would be a discussion on ffmpeg-devel and people
> would agree to bump then i think releasing before is better.
>
> It makes the new features available throgh the current API/ABI and
> we would avoid making a release shortly after major changes.
> That would give such changes more time to be tested before a release

Also there are the filtering regressions, the fixes for them cannot be
backported to 3.3 easily, so +1 for releasing befor the bump.

If there are people interested in carrying on the merges, (thanks!) then
maybe all changes before the bump should be included as well.

And ticket 6375 comes to mind, as far as I remember there were some
fixable and some unfixable issues, it is definitely worth taking another
look before the release.

Regards,
Marton