[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.4

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 18:05:58 EEST 2017

On 8/28/2017 6:46 AM, wm4 wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 11:28:29 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Its a while since FFmpeg 3.3, so its time again to make a new release
>>
>> I intend to make 3.4 in the next weeks
>> Name suggestions needed like always
>>

> At least the new channel mapping API from Libav should be part of this
> release. It deprecates some API, and not having it in the release would
> make the deprecation period longer and more painful.

Deprecation period lasts ~2 years after the introducing commit hits git
master, regardless of how many releases are made before or after.
And we tend to make a release every three to five months, so it's not an
issue like in libav where they make one release per year or so and a
deprecated API making it in means extending its life for at least that
much time.