[FFmpeg-devel] libavcodec memory usage

Matthieu Beghin matthieu.beghin at garagecube.com
Tue Jan 3 17:58:27 EET 2017

Hi,

My application is using libavcodec etc. to playback movies. Everything is ok with our 64 bits app. But I have a 32 bits app and there when playing a 8k we reach 3 GB memory usage, so when adding another 4k or a few HD movies, the app crashes.

I haven’t found a way to reduce memory usage. The library stores lots of frames or data. I tried reducing thread_count to 1 to test, but it does not help and performances are not acceptable.

Is there a way to limit the size of buffered data / number of buffered frames ?
I’m using FFMPEG 2.8.7 (libavcodec.56.60.100 / libavformat.56.40.101).

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Matt Beghin