[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2017

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Jan 25 04:15:50 EET 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 03:39:09PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> GSoC 2017 mentor org registration has opened a few days ago
>
> Our current ideas page lists just a single mentor and single sugestion
> http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/GSoC/2017
>
> About the Suggested project
> It is a hard design task which few students would be
> capable to do. I dont know if someone already knows a student who is
> qualified for this and who would be available in FFmpeg GSoC but if not
> I think finding a qualified student will be hard or require some luck
> and success with a less than qualified student unlikely.
> At least thats what my gut feeling says based on past years
>
> About the number of ideas
> one is not enough, and i think its a waste of time if we apply with
> such short list, i doubt we would be accepted with one idea and one
> mentor
>
> About the number of mentors
> one is not enough

ok so our page now contains
4 project ideas and 3 mentors
big thanks to the people volunteering and adding them

Can we get a few more ?
Ideal would be numbers similar to previous years
We wont have a student for each idea we list most likely.
If we list just 4 we might have just 1 or 2 students, having a
wider range of ideas to select from would increase the number of
contributions and number of potential new developers joining.

Thanks

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.