[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Implement support for interplay MVE 0x06, 0x0F and 0x10

Hein-Pieter van Braam hp at tmm.cx
Sat Jun 17 16:08:33 EEST 2017

Hi all,

This patch implements support for 3 previously unknown Interplay MVE
opcodes. These opcodes together implement support for 2 additional
video frame formats.

This is my first time trying to contribute to ffmpeg so I expect this
code to not be entirely up to snuff, I'm interested in getting this
merged so any comments are welcome and I'll make any necessary changes.
I have ran patchcheck over it and fix most of the issues it found.

I'm working with Multimedia Mike to get these opcodes documented on the
multimedia.cx wiki.

You may notice something strange going on with decoding opcode 10
movies, the reason for that is that the codec appears to need access to
a block since before the last time it was changed, this is not
necessarily the last displayed frame. To implement this I decode to two
extra AVFrame's, swapping them after each decode, and copying only
changed blocks from the current decoding frame to the final display
frame. I think that my implementation is probably more convoluted than
it needs to be, any suggestions on that front would be most welcome
also.

There's a bug in FFmpeg master currently that prevents the MVE decoder
from signaling that the end of the file has been reached. I've made no
attempt to fix that in this patch. I'll create a separate patch to fix
this issue.

- HP