[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg 3.3
michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Mar 31 16:47:05 EEST 2017
On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 03:19:01PM +0200, Clément Bœsch wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 03:07:15PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 01:31:51PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:29:52PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > > Hi all
> > > >
> > > > are there any issues/tickets that block making 3.3 ?
> > > >
> > > > What about the spherical API size_t / uint32_t issue ?
> > > > we can change it before the release but not after it
> > >
> > > Ive finally branched release/3.3 off
> > > feel free to backport anything
> > > we also need release notes and all that stuff
> > >
> > > once we all agree ill make 3.3 from it
> > wm4 and ubitux stated on irc that now is a bad time to release due to
> > the many recent merges
> Clarification on the situation: for a few days now, a few developers
> including myself are working on catching up with the Libav merges. We were
> at more than 1000+ commits a few weeks (days?) ago and we're at about 650
> now (basically Libav in early November 2016).
> It's hard to predict how long it will take to reach the 1:1 state again.
> In the best case I'd say 3 weeks to 1 month, assuming no blocker and still
> a large number of noops.
> I also have much less time since I'm not in holidays anymore (yeah, I took
> a few days of holidays to help with that).
> That said, reaching a 1:1 state again will mean a more stable state (as in
> "less changing") of the repository because the merges will be less
> abundant, and thus more likely a time to make a release.
Iam not sure if we will be in a better state for a release after
merging 650 commits from libav which diverged for many years.
If that happens within a month, how long will it take to stabilize
I mean if we decide that 1 week of stabilization of release/3.3 after
300 merges is not good enough (as in we cant release this now in a few
days), 650 more quickly added on top doesnt seem to improve the
Also waiting now for 650 more merges then weeks for stabilization
puts things more into FFmpeg 3.4 time, as in we are not waiting with
3.3 but more accuratly we skip a release.
And if we do, will there be no reason to skip 3.4 in 2-3 months ?
IMO release early, release often
also what exactly is broken with teh current tree that will be better
in a month and was better 3 weeks ago ?
Is that known ? or is it just "there were lots of chnages, things may
be broken" ?
all just some randdom comments so myself and also others better
understand what the issues are
Michael GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB
I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 181 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
More information about the ffmpeg-devel